Christmas doesn’t need to cost the Earth
Are you looking for inspiration to do Christmas a little differently this year? Here is our ‘alternative’ guide to ethical and environmentally-minded Christmas presents!
How about looking at gifts that will last, choose quality over quantity. Are there products that will benefit people worse off than ourselves? Choose companies that treat employees in the supply chain well and look after our oceans, trees and wildlife. Choose wisely, Christmas doesn’t need to cost the Earth.
On the First day of Christmas my true love gave to me…
1. An amazingly useful book ‘Learning with Nature’ . Plenty of simple, and accessible ideas, activities and games to get you and your family outside and connecting with nature!
2. Oxfam Unwrapped – give a goat, feed a family, educate a child. You can choose which of Oxfam’s amazing project your donation goes to.
3. A Bamboo toothbrush – reduce your use of disposable plastic, use a cheap, sustainable alternative. Save the planet and your teeth!
4. A Twinned toilet! Flush away the world’s toilet trouble! You donate to twin your loo with an impoverished family’s household latrine, in a country of your choosing.
5. A Wild Day Out – bring your family to the woods for a fun-filled, adventurous day out. Play games, light fires, cook, build dens, learn new skills…fun for all the family! Contact us to buy your gift voucher. Our next Family Wild Day Out is 14th February 2018.
6. Eco-friendly drinking straws – we all know the damage that disposable plastic straws are causing to the world’s oceans. #ditchtheplastic and invest in metal, bamboo or wheat straws instead.
7. From babies with love – a social enterprise selling beautiful, ethically sourced baby gifts and clothes. Every penny from their sales goes to support orphaned and abandoned children around the world.
8. Wild Time – Swap screen time for Wild Time and get outside! Pledge your time on the Wild Network’s website and find loads of ideas to do outdoors – learn how to tell the time without a watch, host a nature cocktail party, make a journey stick.
9. Adopt a tiger – or elephant/rhino/wolf pack. Perfect for your wildlife minded friends, family or children. Adopt a tiger with WWF and receive a book unique to you!
10. Plant a tree – Gifting a tree comes with a the added bonus of an invitation to a tree planting experience in The National Forest.
11. Buy a season pass to an outdoor location – and give the gift of the outdoors. The National Trust, RHS, Drusillas…the choices are endless.
12. The gift of time – pledging time for your loved one is the ultimate gift and it’s free! You could create a bespoke voucher to open on Christmas day – pledge to spent a whole day outdoors with your child, pledge an evening in with your loved one, a shopping trip with your friend…the choice is yours.
Whatever you choose do to this year, have a very Happy Christmas.
By Katie Scanlan
Circle of Life Rediscovery
Circle of Life Rediscovery run Forest School sessions, Forest School training, woodland days, enrichment activity days, outdoor learning days, Camps, CPD’s for teachers and family activity days in our beautiful Sussex woodland. Please visit our website for more details.