Challenging Behaviour in the Outdoors
About this nature-based practice CPD course
Equip yourself with powerful tools to help you to improve outcomes for yourself and students who display challenging behaviour.
Up to date research and best practice guidelines for working in the outdoors form the basis for this nature-based practice CPD course.
*This course is currently going ahead outside, adhering to Government guidelines and social distance rules. Please see our Covid Protocol document for full details.
Who this nature-based practice CPD course is for
Educators who want to engage and work with reluctant learners of any age in the outdoors.
What you will learn
Discover the value of fire to create a community of learning.
Also, find out why empathy is one of the most effective strategies to have in your ‘challenging behaviour kit’.
Onsite training course
Who facilitates this course?
Jon Cree was the founding chair of the Forest School Association (FSA) UK and co-wrote The Essential Guide to Forest School & Nature Pedagogy with Circle of Life Rediscovery Director Marina Robb.
How many hours?
What it involves
This nature-based practice CPD course balances theory and practical application.
Also, it includes real-life case studies, outdoor activities and ideas you can use in a natural setting.
Outcome / qualification
This nature-based practice CPD course is a Level 3 West Midlands Open College Network Accredited Course.
- Welcome, introductions and how we work together
- What is behaviour: our challenges
- Course overview: assessment criteria and learning journal
- 4 theories of behaviour, (behaviourism) Skinner and Bandura, (psychotherapy) Vaillant and Freud, (humanism) Rogers, (constructivism) Kohn, Glasser and Rosenburg
- Course expectations
- Magic spot: qualities the outdoors brings to ‘affecting behaviour’
- Needs met and unmet by the outdoors for my clients and me
- Responding in the moment: the role of EI, empathy and de-escalation
- Personal ecology – how I see myself, how others see me
- Neural Development including the adolescent brain
- How the outdoors meets my needs and particularly working with groups and challenging behaviour in the outdoors – link to ‘feelings’
- ‘Reading’ our learners
- Empathic language and communication
- The ‘isms’
- Intervention strategies and de-escalation
- Participants Scenarios, Planning and simulation
- Revisit scenarios and de-escalation
- The challenging behaviour First Aid Kit and Support Networks
- The whole cycle and how to work with each part of a behavioural cycle
- Review own Policies and Procedures
- Back to Assessment criteria, Personal Learning Journals, Paperwork for portfolios
- Review and Action plans
Jon Cree's course in Marina's woodland was one of those experiences I will always remember. Jon creates a unique learning environment - embodied, wholehearted and accepting. His vast experience and personality shine through into his teaching. I valued his perspectives on behavioural theory and his practical approach of teaching how to manage challenging situations: role play, fire-side discussion and experiential time in the woods. Thank you, for the work you are doing.
John’s teaching style, knowledge and enthusiasm made it a really special three days. The location was perfect, and the pace was well matched for content. I left feeling grounded, nourished and eager to put the learning into practice!
Next available dates
Challenging Behaviour In The Outdoors CPD course takes place at our stunning woodland site located at Mill Woods, near Laughton, East Sussex, BN8 6BP
Date: 4th, 5th & 6th May 2022
Lead Facilitator: Jon Cree
This is a Level 3 West Midlands Open College Network Accredited Course
Cost: £325 for the 3 day course
£55 optional extra fee for the accreditation
Day 1: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Day 2: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Day 3: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Why choose Circle of Life Rediscovery?
Circle of Life Rediscovery CIC has over 25 years of experience in training professionals and inspiring thousands of people of all ages and backgrounds into the outdoors in both the UK, Ireland, Portugal and SE Asia.
We are a leading organisation in nature connection and personal development. As such,we’ve received many grants and awards for our work with groups across different ages and backgrounds.
Our team also offers bespoke training. Get in touch to discuss your requirements.