Train-the-Trainer in Forest Kindergarten Level 3:
We’re committed to making the outdoors available for the early years!
If you’d like us to deliver a Forest Kindergarten Train-the-Trainer course to enable your organisation (trainers/lecturers) to deliver the new Level 3 Qualification in Forest Kindergarten: Local Nature Play or a simpler 2 day CPD, we can provide this with one flat fee.
We developed our Train-the-Trainer course in partnership with leading Scottish education consultant and specialist in outdoor learning and play Juliet Robertson and is based on the Scottish Train-the-Trainer model.
All participants get a Train-the-Trainer manual.
- At least two years delivering Forest Kindergarten or Forest School programmes
- Two or more years delivering Training/CPD’s
- Early Years Practitioner holding minimum of Level 3 Early Years qualification or equivalent
- Forest School Leaders or outdoor practitioners with a good understanding of early years practice
What you’ll learn
Over the 2 days, we’ll teach you the principles and approach of Forest Kindergarten alongside the how-to-deliver a comprehensive Level 3 qualification in Forest Kindergarten: Local Nature Play, supported by all the resources need to support children’s play, learning and interaction with nature. In particular, how to prepare your learners to:
- To audit a local greenspace for play purposes
- To set up a suitable site
- Prepare children to leave their setting
- To set boundaries with early years children
- To prepare for risks (risk-benefit model)
- To offer relevant exercises to discuss the research on the benefits of playing and learning outdoors
- To offer games and songs to support children with the routines of regular visits to a greenspace
- To offer possible lines of development using naturally available resources and backlink this to the Early Years Curriculum
But that’s not all. This training is underpinned three themes that form the basis of Forest School Kindergarten: People, place, and pedagogy (activities).
This course is supported by 2 guiding principles documents developed by a UK based working group of Early Years and Outdoor Play specialists:
- Train the trainer manual (over 76-page document with printable resources) that can accompanied to your training as is, or adapted for your purposes
- Example Forest Kindergarten Policies and Procedures Handbook
- Access to online resources
- All printable resources for activities to deliver the Qualification or a 2-day CPD
Book a Forest Kindergarten Train-the-Trainer course at your site
£375 per person (minimum 15 people + travel & accommodation)
- Local Nature Play is relevant and responsive to all communities, and focuses on their specific contexts and circumstances
- Local Nature Play empowers early years practitioners, enabling them to extend their daily practice
- Local Nature Play emphasises relationships with locality and community in building the foundations of belonging to society
- Local Nature Play emphasises close relationships with the natural world in providing firm foundations for feelings of belonging in nature and planet Earth as a whole
Pedagogy - Early years
- The value and benefits of playing in nature for child wellbeing. Holistic development and citizenship are understood by the practitioner and fully explored on the training and through submitted course documentation
- Well-informed and robust early years play and nature pedagogy guide all activities, experiences and planning participants undertake in training and subsequently offer children in Local Nature Play
Watch this video:
Scottish Forestry Commission explains its approach to Forest Kindergarten
What is a Forest Kindergarten: Local Nature Play Level 3 Qualification?
This qualification provides the complete foundation for early-year practitioners who want to work in nature with groups of early-year learners.
With a Forest Kindergarten Training qualification, you can take young children on frequent visits and regular play opportunities in a local, natural setting all year round, be they woodland, park or even a beach!
Next available Train-the-Trainer course dates
Date: 10th & 11 October 2023
Time: 9.00am – 4.30pm
Location: We are running this two-day course in partnership with The Sustainability Centre at their stunning woodland classroom.
Address: The Sustainability Centre, Droxford Rd, Petersfield GU32 1HR
Your Train-the-Trainer Facilitators
Our tutors are dedicated, knowledgeable and, best of all, have up to date knowledge of Forest School and Environmental Education.
Forest Kindergarten Trainer Marina Robb will co-deliver this training with Louise Hack. Marina led the working group who pioneered this qualification in the UK.
Circle of Life Rediscovery CIC has over 25 years of experience in training professionals and inspiring thousands of people of all ages and backgrounds into the outdoors in both the UK, Ireland, Portugal and SE Asia.
We are a leading organisation in nature connection and personal development. As such, we’ve received many grants and awards for our work with groups across different ages and backgrounds.
We had an amazing experience on your two day course back in November. We learnt how to extend our knowledge and understanding of outdoor learning in a wonderful environment.
I enjoyed the Forest Kindergarten training so much! Having already been doing Forest School with the older children I was struggling to do fun and exciting things with the early years- you have brought back my confidence and given me lots of ideas and ways to improve my practice.